Tuesday, July 17, 2012

For the love of Worzel

You know what children are missing out on these days? Worzel Gummdige. How absolutely awesome was Worzel Gummidge? He was the real deal. Not some namby pamby “oh dear I don’t have a heart boo hoo” scarecrow, but a “I don’t have a heart and I don’t give a f*** motherf***er” sort of scarecrow. Worzel was the bad ass of scarecrows and he didn’t care who knew it. He was the Bill Sykes of the scarecrow world.

"yellow brick road? I p*ss on the yellow brick road"
Plus he could take his head off. Some people change their hair style depending on their mood. But not Worzel, he’d just change his whole head. He has a collection of heads! What could be more awesome than that?!

Okay so he wasn't all that mean. But he WAS rude and arrogant and selfish and deliciously wicked. He didn't give a sod for rules and you loved him for that yet you knew that he was being BAD so it was delicious fun to us kids watching. Yes, we lived vocariously through Worzel. 

Worzel DID have a heart, underneath all that scruff and grime and his heart belonged to Aunt Sally .
I wish I remembered more about the show. I do own one Worzel Gummidge book - Worzel Gummidge and the Treasure Ship - but that book comes much much later on in the series. Well at least I know what I'm going to be reading tonight, Oh aye. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Come and join ole Worzel on Facebook !
Www.facebook.com/worzelscarecrow

Epiphanous rambling

I went for a bit of a walk this morning. The silly cat wakes me up at 5.30 on the dot anyway, demanding food, so I thought might as well and...