Monday, July 23, 2012

Fear of happy people

The other day after reading Gorge Takei's blog post on the whole BSA situation  - about a lesbian scout leader being ousted - I mentioned it to a co-worker. I expected him to be as appalled as I was at the discrimination - instead his response was "of course, it makes sense, they must be worried". "Worried about what?" I asked “well it’s kids isn't it?” was his mind numbing reply. In that moment I fully grasped the actuall horrific meaning of the word homophobia. it’s not just a dislike of gay people is it? There are people who are actually frightened of homosexuals.Good gosh.

Why on earth do people define gay people only by their sexuality? It’s just crazy. They're just normal, intelligent, free-thinking, human beings who live, love, and work like we all do and they happen to be gay. Why on earth should we be scared of that? what about those of us that happen to be straight? Do we need to now mention that in our resume? "Please employ me, I'm straight, therefore I will not bugger your sons. I may however sleep with your 16 year old daughter, but that's okay because it's heterosexual statutory rape and not the other thing." Sheesh.   

For some people, someone else being gay is the only characteristic they see. As in "Oh my god they're gay, I can’t let my kids be around them." That’s pedophiles you’re thinking of, and they come in all shapes sizes and sexual orientations. A person who is gay simply prefers to be with someone of their own sex; it’s a preference just the same as straight people want to be with people of the opposite sex. It all boils down to who you're attracted to. It's not something you learn from other people, or something that can be driven out just because some bible-wielding idiot with a moral compass stuck up his arse says so. 

On a somewhat unrelated note, the word 'gay' reminds me of Gummy Bears. Now isn't that a happy thought?  



No comments:

Epiphanous rambling

I went for a bit of a walk this morning. The silly cat wakes me up at 5.30 on the dot anyway, demanding food, so I thought might as well and...